Eek! I've corrupted a mailslot! Help!

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

Eek! I've corrupted a mailslot! Help!

Postby apurdam » Fri May 22nd, 2015 12:31am

Mailtraq Version: 2.17.5.3342

Yeah, I know, I'll update it as soon as I've fixed the database. And hi to all the long time posters, I've been too busy with other projects to spend any time on the forum for a long while.
I have a real problem. A shutdown of the server didn't go too well (over 30 minutes to shut down and it wasn't doing upgrades - what else could I do...), and I think interrupted a disk write.
Whilst most mail slots appear to be fine, a big problem is with one of the bosses' mail, which can't be accessed by IMAP at all, and when using webmail, the whole folder structure is missing.
In the MTQ console, the folder structure is there, but verify comes back with an error.
The exception log has a lot of entries of the type

Code: Select all
2015-05-22 14:36:31.842 7512
Mailtraq 2.17.7.3424
NexusDB: TABLE_helen: Record has been deleted, cannot read/delete/update it [C:\Program Files (x86)\Mailtraq\database\mail\inbox\helen.afx, ref 2033503805898756] [$2204/8708]
TotalAddrSpace  52559872  TotalUncommitted         0  TotalAllocated  43498836
TotalFree              0  TotalCommitted    53768192  HeapStatus             0
Mailslot.QueryFolders(helen)

I've obviously corrupted something, and need to find a way back to the old file structure, with all of today's new mail (which is happily sitting in the Inbox, I can see it from the MTQ console) still in the Inbox.
I tried a restore to last night's backup, but for some reason that ended up worse (a bit of a worry).
Is there a recipe for this sort of detective work and repair?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apurdam
Expert User

Re: Eek! I've corrupted a mailslot! Help!

Postby Martin Clayton » Fri May 22nd, 2015 8:12am

apurdam wrote:Is there a recipe for this sort of detective work and repair?

Not here but try afxutil, or, possibly afxrecover. Backup first, and my inclination would be to upgrade Mailtraq, then make sure you've got the latest version of afxutil.exe (1.8 when I last looked) before repairing and/or extracting data to a new store. Older backups of database\configuration\mailfolders\ might help recreate the folder structure. Good luck!
Martin Clayton
Expert User

Postby apurdam » Fri May 22nd, 2015 8:16pm

Thanks for the tips, Martin.
Will have a poke around on Sunday.
I've managed a workaround for the boss's emails (new username, auto-forward all mails from old mailslot to new, and drag last three days of emails across - half of which were immediately ignorable anyway). Working well!
Backups are currently failing, so I should probably turn them off before the backup failures erase all the last week (I rotate last seven days).

Cheers,
Andrew
apurdam
Expert User

Postby apurdam » Sun May 24th, 2015 12:14am

afxrecover seems to have done the trick.
Thanks again.
apurdam
Expert User

Postby ukracer » Sun Jan 22nd, 2017 11:04am

I have a problem and used AFX recover but get error messages.....which I dont understand.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf59xrvanmoiw ... q.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0yy8k1q4v47s5l/mailtraq2.JPG?dl=0
ukracer

Return to Mailtraq Support