Webmail, iPhone and Reply all

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

Webmail, iPhone and Reply all

Postby jeromedavies2 » Tue Jan 28th, 2014 11:53am

Mailtraq Version: 2.17.5.3324

When an email is sent from standard webmail with multiple recipients, a user with an iPhone will find that hitting "Reply all" will have all the recipients concatenated together and treated as one email address... which doesn't work

I looked at the source of the email and found this, though I've munged the addresses.

To: alnder.schsl@munged.com; milves@munged.com; kranz@munged.com; sudads@munged.com;clarestley@munged.com; stevean@munged.com; wernniel@munged.com; robestang@munged.com; davane@munged.com; rosddams@munged.com; jandler@munged.com

I looked at the source for a different email that doesn't have this problem and found this:

To: <stert@munged.com>,
<jaandler@munged.com>,
<pdyle@btconnect.com>,
"Macpherliam" <WMERSON@munged.com>,
"Wrigalum H" <CHWGHT@munged.com>,
"Groocodrew J" <AJGROCK@munged.com>,
"Goodmmes M" <JMGOAN@munged.com>,
"Fyfrsty" <KJFE@munged.com>,
"Smraharles" <GCITH2@munged.com>

Could it be that the < > angle brackets and commas are used by some mail clients to pick out individual email addresses and that the standard webmail interface does not insert them?

Alternatively, has anybody else come across this problem or have a solution.

regards

Jerome
jeromedavies2

Re: Webmail, iPhone and Reply all

Postby Elric Pedder » Tue Jan 28th, 2014 1:07pm

Mailtraq inserts the semi-colon and I agree that should be a comma instead. For decades it has been common practice for mail clients to accept both but the protocol clearly specifies a comma. You have just encountered a mail client that doesn't accept the semi-colon. The next build of Mailtraq will use commas instead. We have a new build coming out shortly so it is good timing.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Re: Webmail, iPhone and Reply all

Postby jeromedavies2 » Wed Jan 29th, 2014 4:56am

The user that has experienced the problem tells me it is happening with all his Apple devices so I'm surprised that it hasn't come up before. It may be an odd use case.

Many thanks for the help

Jerome
jeromedavies2

Return to Mailtraq Support