Certificate error on opening Outlook

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

Certificate error on opening Outlook

Postby mollcons » Sat Jan 11th, 2014 7:16am

Mailtraq Version: 2.17.5.3388

Whenever I initiate Outlook (v2013), when it connects to the Mailtraq server, it pops up a message box entitled "Internet Security Warning", which says:
"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified.

The target principal name is incorrect"

I am using a self-generated certificate.

How do I stop the warning being generated every time that Outlook opens?
Chris Jones
Mollington Consultants Limited
[url]http://www.mollingtonconsultants.com/[/url]
mollcons
Expert User

Re: Certificate error on opening Outlook

Postby wellss » Sat Jan 11th, 2014 10:08pm

You would have to import the certificate into the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" store on each client which should work, or you can purchase a valid SSL certificate online at a cheap price. If the server and client are both inside a LAN and you are not worried about someone "sniffing" the network and capturing mail between the client and server, you could actually just choose not to use a certificate. Also, the name in the certificate MUST match the name of the server you are connecting to, exactly.
The problem with self-signed certificates is that they are generally not used in production and browsers and other software that are seeing the certificate will not show it as authentic.
Hope this helps a bit.
wellss

Re: Certificate error on opening Outlook

Postby Martin Clayton » Mon Jan 13th, 2014 11:09am

Another option to consider is a free certificate from StartSSL. Works here for email and webmail but I think Mailtraq would need to support StartSSL's Class 1 intermediate certificate to work seamlessly with non-ancient versions of Firefox. (See StartSSl's FAQ. It may be possible already but I didn't see a way of installing it).
Martin Clayton
Expert User

Return to Mailtraq Support