DBLs

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

DBLs

Postby apurdam » Mon Oct 14th, 2013 8:13pm

Mailtraq Version: 2.17.5.3342

Hi gang,
I've been trying to use spamhaus on our POP collection of our oldest email domain to filter out persistent spammers, but found it was knocking out too much legit email, especially from when staff are travelling and sending from dodgy internet cafes or hotels.
I had to turn DBL off, but would like to revisit it now that I've found the viewtopic.php?p=3751#p3751 explanation by Elric.

My question is in the screenshot Elric provided
he uses the % column in a way that I don't understand.
In the tutorial on tuning DBLs in http://info.mailtraq.com/999/ it talks about using the % column to create accumulating scores, that need to sum over 100 before rerouting or rejection will be triggered. That doesn't seem to be the usage here.
Also it refers to $txt. I'm assuming that is text returned by spamhaus? I'd never seen that documented before. Are there any other helpful variables?

I can't really turn this back on until I have better control over its behaviour. I was having to dig stuff out of the spam box too often.

Related to this are two bugs I've discovered.
1) When I try and delete a DBL from the Black Lists tab in POP3 Account Properties, I get an mmc error
Error deleting onject 0 with CfgDeleteObject (80020003) /DBLList.

2) I created another mailbox under my username, called it spam, and reroute spam into it.
But I have trouble reading it in webmail. The webmail list under My Mailboxes has a black for spam, and it is therefore unclickable. I work around this by specifying http://server/browse.asp?mailslot=spam
Did find it available if I use Enhanced Webmail.

Also found that Internet Explorer 10 doesn't show the Enhanced Webmail as an option unless I set it to compatibility mode.
Anyhow, that's enough for now.
apurdam
Expert User

Re: DBLs

Postby Elric Pedder » Fri Oct 18th, 2013 9:11am

apurdam wrote:My question is in the screenshot Elric provided
he uses the % column in a way that I don't understand.
In the tutorial on tuning DBLs in http://info.mailtraq.com/999/ it talks about using the % column to create accumulating scores, that need to sum over 100 before rerouting or rejection will be triggered. That doesn't seem to be the usage here.

The description is correct. The % column is the score from a match and only the first match is returned. If you hit multiple DBL services the score accumulates. Any score of 100 or over (it used to be just over 100) results in denial while a lower score just results in log entries. In the screenshot the unique scores are used so that the scoring indicates which Spamhaus result was hit so it is a poor example to document how it works. Those scores could all have been 100 to serve the same purpose.

apurdam wrote:Also it refers to $txt. I'm assuming that is text returned by spamhaus? I'd never seen that documented before. Are there any other helpful variables?

I believe you also have $ip to indicate the IP being tested, and $client-ip and $client-host to indicate which client is connected.

apurdam wrote:Related to this are two bugs I've discovered.
1) When I try and delete a DBL from the Black Lists tab in POP3 Account Properties, I get an mmc error
Error deleting onject 0 with CfgDeleteObject (80020003) /DBLList.

I'll look into that.

apurdam wrote:2) I created another mailbox under my username, called it spam, and reroute spam into it.
But I have trouble reading it in webmail. The webmail list under My Mailboxes has a black for spam, and it is therefore unclickable. I work around this by specifying http://server/browse.asp?mailslot=spam
Did find it available if I use Enhanced Webmail.

Also found that Internet Explorer 10 doesn't show the Enhanced Webmail as an option unless I set it to compatibility mode.
Anyhow, that's enough for now.

It sounds to me as though WebMail updates have become disabled for you. If you make changes to WebMail in the standard directory then the software updates won't overwrite them and you essentially stop getting updates. If you had the current version of WebMail it should detect Explorer 10 without problems so perhaps that's worth resetting. Try moving your WebMail directory to a new location and then do a "repair" from the control panel to have the update write the latest WebMail directory in place.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Re: DBLs

Postby apurdam » Tue Oct 22nd, 2013 6:54am

Will try that. I've got some (very few now) local mods that might be preventing that.
Thanks for your reply.

A
apurdam
Expert User

Return to Mailtraq Support