Best Use of Mailtraq

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

Best Use of Mailtraq

Postby Redkite » Fri Oct 11th, 2013 9:29am

Mailtraq Version: 2.17.5.3342

Advice please.

We currently use mailtraq in our head office near London and we have one or two satellite workers and it all works well. (25 users). We also have other divisions across the country say with 15 extra users. They all have different email domains (3). They also have no in house IT of any note. We have had mail problems recently with one of the divisions and it went on for days. All the divisions use POP3 via their hosting accounts. I want to have more control and better backup if things go wrong.

So is best way forwards one machine here (head office) point all the domains (mx records) to the mailtraq ip address here and set up the extra domains in server properties etc?

I have always worried that if my machine here suffers a failure it will take a few hours to get another up and running and meanwhile all companywide emails would go down.

Could I use a separate machine somehow with mailtraq on perhaps even a different ip address (we have two at present) and somehow allow some sort of failover setup should either a line, an isp, or a machine go down.

Is there a way to swiftly go back to using another server elsewhere? Perhaps i could have it so if one mx record does not resolve that it uses a second one that references a completely different mailtraq server sat in one of the branches (basically a clone) that could take over for a while.

Or am i worrying too much and something simple would suffice?

Regards

Neil
Redkite
Expert User

Re: Best Use of Mailtraq

Postby Elric Pedder » Fri Oct 11th, 2013 10:12am

I just want to clarify: are all users of Mailtraq also using POP3? If so you have a wide variety of failover options. Mailtraq installations become almost interchangeable because other than configuration the machine has very little state.

Also, we have Mailkeep which can be used as a secondary MX and if your ISP goes down you can instruct it to deliver mail to a secondary server or allow POP3 collection directly.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Re: Best Use of Mailtraq

Postby Redkite » Fri Oct 11th, 2013 11:32am

Elric.

Currently we have a mixture of POP3 and IMAP for remote stations/workers. Internal network Outlook using POP3. Iphones etc using imap. Some users have desktop and phone but not all. We use POP3 as we keep a months view of emails for everyone in their inbox and then archive. This was set up before we started using any imap so we may be able to alter if it helps.

Not sure if that helps as my brain is a bit dead, last thing Friday after stressful week :)

Mailkeep sounds interesting.

Regards

neil
Redkite
Expert User

Return to Mailtraq Support