way to prevent email tracking

This is the Mailtraq Peer Support forum. Get assistance using and managing Mailtraq, and help others solve problems too.

way to prevent email tracking

Postby soushtina » Thu Aug 01st, 2013 7:11am

Is there a way to prevent email tracking? Is there any way I can prevent someone from using sites like spypig on me? Basically I do not want someone to know I have read his email and I believe he is using an email tracker to notify him of when i read his email. Can i prevent this?

We knew this was spam but a slightly interesting question anyway so it can stay
Last edited by soushtina on Wed Aug 07th, 2013 3:22am, edited 1 time in total.
soushtina

Re: way to prevent email tracking

Postby jimhill » Thu Aug 01st, 2013 4:11pm

soushtina wrote:Is there a way to prevent email tracking? Is there any way I can prevent someone from using sites like spypig on me?

Spypig says
spypig wrote:Both you and the recipient must use an HTML email, not plain-text or rich-text email.
which means that you can use any mail client which understands and implements email security correctly eg, assuming Win32/64, Agent http://www.forteinc.com/agent/trial.php
jimhill
Expert User

Re: way to prevent email tracking

Postby Elric Pedder » Fri Aug 02nd, 2013 11:49am

soushtina wrote:Is there a way to prevent email tracking? Is there any way I can prevent someone from using sites like spypig on me? Basically I do not want someone to know I have read his email and I believe he is using an email tracker to notify him of when i read his email. Can i prevent this?

Jim is right not only for spypig but in general: plain text e-mails don't get tracked so don't view HTML.

I'm finding the spypig site broken right now so I can't verify this, but I assume they use pretty much the only viable technique which is known as a Web Bug. This is no surprise and the technique has been well known for as long as e-mail has carried HTML. There are some interesting variations such as tracking a hosted CSS file or using Javascript but they all amount to the same thing: in order to render the HTML page the mail client has to fetch some resource over the Internet and that action is trackable. For years now all serious mail user agents disable download of resources by default. This is less the case in WebMail services because browsers are harder to control.

So if you are using Agent, Outlook or any serious mail client you are pretty much immune unless you act on the e-mail by downloading images or content.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Return to Mailtraq Support