Transmission Receipt

This forum is for discussing Mailtraq's Scripting features. Get help with Mailtraq scripts, templates and external ActiveX scripting.

Transmission Receipt

Postby JHolly » Tue Jan 15th, 2013 1:17am

Hello All,
I am new to Mailtraq but fairly proficient in ASP, VB etc. I would respectfully ask for assistance in setting up a simple script to notify users that their message has successfully left our server! e.g "Your message TO xxxx was dispatched from our server at 8:39 PM". I would find this to be handy for users to know and (hopefully) simple enough for me to build some scripting skills with. Many thanks in advance. :?:
JHolly

Re: Transmission Receipt

Postby Elric Pedder » Tue Jan 15th, 2013 11:57am

I'd like to start by considering the goals:

Would you want to notify all users of all messages sent? I wonder if it might be more useful (from the user's perspective) to find out on demand whether or not a message was delivered? A message could sit in the outbox for a long period of time because of transient delivery problems leaving the sender unsure whether there was a problem with their message or a problem with the tracking. Perhaps one could receive tracking for specific messages (such as high-importance or messages with a keyword in the subject). What if you had an address which you could blind carbon copy when you want to receive tracking.

All these options would significantly change how you structured the scripts. Essentially there is no trigger that occurs when a message is delivered, but it is possible to store a copy of a message in a mailbox after the delivery process completes. One could either periodically poll the messages in that mailbox or have a script execute when a message expires from that mailbox.

The most useful scripting element (to get you started thinking about this) is MessageTrackingQuery which will return tracking entries.
Mailtraq Development and Escalation Support
Novitraq Incorporated
Elric Pedder
Mailtraq Escalation Support

Return to Mailtraq Scripting